Skip to main content Skip to footer

Public Works

The public works department for the Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen provides maintenance services for all the township roads, manages village ward water, waste water supply systems and transfer stations.

The Public Works department maintains 160 km of roads, in the best possible condition, in all four seasons. During the winter season they travel 480 km to get all of the roads clear of snow and ice. In order to maintain the highest quality of service, they operate within budgeted amounts authorized by council.

Peterborough County maintains the county roads within the Township. For more information on county roads, please visit the Peterborough County website.

An entrance permit is required when putting in a new entrance or widening your entrance on a municipally maintained road. Please complete an entrance permit application and submit to the Township Office.

Entrance permit fees

Entrance permit application fee of $1,050.00 is required. Upon completion and approval of the entrance, a refund of $1,000.00 is issued.

County Road - Entrance Permit

If your entrance is located off of a County Road, please visit the County of Peterborough website. 

Any time you plan to dig on or near your property contact Ontario One Call before you dig.

For information regarding parking within the township, please refer to our Traffic and Parking By-law 2023-088.

Avoid parking on the streets during a snowstorm and in the days after snowstorm. Vehicles parked on the streets make it hard for plowing.

There is no overnight parking in the Village of Havelock between November 1st to April 15th from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, the province enforces reduced load restrictions on trucks to protect Ontario's highways during spring thaw, when road damage is most likely to occur.

March 1st to April 30th

To report a roads issue, please contact the Municipal Office at 705-778-2308 or Public Works Department at 705-778-2481 during regular business hours or use the report it online form.

If you have an after hours road related emergency, please contact 705-876-5408.

The public works department is responsible for the following maintenance and repairs;

  • Plowing and sanding
  • Grading
  • Ditching
  • Patching pot holes
  • Installing municipal cross culverts
  • Picking up garbage, debris and animal carcases
  • Cleaning up brush
  • Trimming trees
  • Catch basin cleaning

Visit the water and sewers webpage

Water Leaks

As a part of the Public Works Departments ongoing management of our water supply system if you have a water leak or notice a loss of pressure or hear constant water running please contact us. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to repair the leak if it is between your property line and your home. The Township is responsible for any water repairs from the property line to the street.

24 hour emergency number for the water works is 705-926-0184

Water treatment facilities

Well 1 and 4 is located at 39 George Street East

Well 3 is located 832 Old Norwood Road

Water Distribution

Elevated Water Storage Tank is located at 111 Concession Street North

Waste water facilities

Water Pollution Control Plant is located at 739 Old Norwood Road

Water Pollution Pumping Station is located at 38 Ottawa Street East


During snow or ice events the main roads will be the primary focus, followed by the lower volume roads. 

Property owners are responsible for:

  • Clearing snow and ice on driveways
  • Removing snow windrows left by plows on roads and sidewalks
  • When clearing snow and ice from your property it must not be thrown on the road or sidewalks.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.