Skip to main content Skip to footer

Building and Planning


If you are going to build or renovate, you will likely require a building permit. If you are uncertain if a permit is required, please contact the building department at 705-778-2308 or email Travis Toms, Dale Theriault or Sonia Aaltonen.

The Chief Building Official will make sure the work complies with the following:

  • Ontario Building Code
  • Comprehensive Zoning By-law
  • Other applicable laws and regulations

The Chief Building Official will review architectural, structural, mechanical and plumbing drawings before issuing a building permit.

Building permit applications can be submitted through Cloudpermit building permit system. 

Getting started with Cloudpermit Building Permit System

Havelock-Belmont-Methuen is pleased to offer residents, builders, and the business community Cloudpermit – an online system to apply for and track your building permits.

The Cloudpermit building permit system allows you to apply for and to see the status of your application anywhere, at any time. You can start an application and finish it later, and receive email updates on the status of your permit application. 

Cloudpermit Video

View "How to submit a Building Permit Application" video for more information on hoe to submit a building permit through Cloudpermit.

Step 1 - Create an account in Cloudpermit

To get started with Cloudpermit, you will need to create an account using an email address.

  1. Go to the Cloudpermit site to register        
  2. Click on “Create Now” found under "Register for an account"
  3. Provide your email address.
  4. Cloudpermit will send an email to the address you have provided.
  5. Open the email and complete the registration process.

The next time you visit the site, you'll login using your email and password.

Step 2 - Start a new application

  1. Login to Cloudpermit
  2. Click the "Apply for a Permit" button in the upper right-hand corner.

Create a New Project (include a project name)

Project Name - This could be a combination of your address and the project type might be a good way to keep track if you'll be applying for multiple permits (for example - 742 Evergreen Terrace – Basement Reno). Then select NEXT 

Provide the Location where the work will be taking place. Change the municipality (drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner) to Havelock-Belmont-Methuen. You can then type in your address or roll number, OR you can find your property on the map. Once you have the correct location (it appears under the map), select NEXT 

Select the Application Type and Category appropriate for your project. Most of the categories are self-explanatory, but note that you would select “accessory structures” for smaller structures like sheds and detached garages. Then select NEXT 

At this point, you'll see a Summary. Check if the information is accurate. If you need to make changes, use the "Back" button. If everything is correct, select CREATE APPLICATION  

Draft Permit Application

You'll now see your draft Building Permit application. You'll need to provide a bit more information before submitting your application request.

Ensure the "receive email notifications" is marked as YES. (Email is the primary way in which we will communicate with you throughout the process.)

Under “General”

Under Parties of the Application, you can add email addresses for other people and/or companies that should have access to the application. You may wish to add your spouse, contractor, architect, etc.

You must have an owner and an applicant. Make sure to include contact information for both. Note the owner and applicant may be the same person.

When you provide another party's information, you'll be asked to give them permission to modify (change) the application and/or add new applications to the project. For example, you may wish to give your heating contractor the ability to add a new application for a heating permit.

You can also opt to type in the information manually, in which case the party will not receive an email indicating they have been added to the application.

Under Application Data, indicate what type of work you are doing, and the type of building on which you'll be working. When you do that, any additional forms that you are required to complete will appear. Click on the forms and complete the required information.

Under “Attachments”

You may also be required to provide Attachments like site plans, architectural drawings, etc. Click on the "Attachments" title to see what is required for your project.

Upload your items by dragging them into the grey box OR using the "click here" button to select them from your computer.

Once they have uploaded, select the type of attachment and then select done.

Do this for all of the required attachments. 

If at any time you need to change or update the attachments (prior to submitting your application), you can delete (the little garbage cans) and upload again.

Sign Off on the Application

At this point, you are ready to Sign Off on the application, using the button at the top right-hand side of the page.

Review the items listed and indicate if they apply and/or you agree with the terms. Then click "sign off application."

Note that you can download a copy of the sign-off form at the top of the page.

Sign Off on the Application

At this point, you are ready to Sign Off on the application, using the button at the top right-hand side of the page.

Review the items listed and indicate if they apply and/or you agree with the terms. Then click "sign off application."

Note that you can download a copy of the sign-off form at the top of the page.

Submit your Application

You will receive an email to confirm your application has been submitted, and you’ll receive subsequent emails regarding its status. You will also receive an email advising you when the building permit is ready and how to pay.


Dashboard - At any point, you can return to the "My Dashboard" page to see which applications you have made and if we are waiting on any information from you to process your application further.

Delete - You can delete your application at any time by using the "Select Action" drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Step 3 - Pay for your permit

Currently, you need to come into the municipal office or pay online by credit card to pay for your building permit. If you would like to make an online payment, please contact the municipal officer for instructions.

Please note that Havelock-Belmont-Methuen does not accept credit card payments for Building Permits at the municipal office.

Once your permit has been issued, please print a copy of your permit and post on site.

Step 4 - Request an Inspection

Stages of inspections are listed on each permit. It is the duty of the landowner to make sure all work is inspected at each stage of construction.

How to book an inspection

To book inspections, call the building department administrative assistant at 705-778-2308 extension 526, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Note: 48 hours minimum notice required for scheduling an inspection.

Inspection reports

It is the duty of the landowner to make sure all work is complete by getting copies of inspection results. To get copies of these reports, contact the Building department at the Municipal Office.

Closing a building permit

A building permit file can be closed with the approval of the building inspector once the final inspection is complete.

Ontario Building Code

The building inspector will inspect work to make sure that construction complies with the Ontario Building Code, applicable by-laws and regulations.



Need Help?

Visit Cloudpermit - Building Permitting or Cloudpermit - Support for answers to commonly asked questions.

Contact Havelock-Belmont-Methuen's Building Department or Building and Planning Assistant, Sonia Aaltonen 705-778-2308 for help during business hours (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm).


You must file a building permit application for the following:

  • new buildings or additions
  • a structure over 10 square meters (other than a shed not more than15 square meters) as per Ontario Building Code Regulation:
8. Article of Division C of the Regulation is amended by adding the
following Sentence:
(6) A shed is exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit under section 8 of the Act and is exempt from compliance with this Code, provided that the shed,
(a) is not more than 15 m2 in gross area,
(b) is not more than one storey in building height,
(c) is not attached to a building or any other structure,
(d) is used only for storage purposes ancillary to a principal building on the lot,
(e) does not have plumbing.
  • accessory building such as garages, sleeping cabins, boathouses
  • any size addition to a structure
  • renovate an existing building
  • farm building
  • move or demolish a building
  • to install a woodstove, chimney or fireplaces
  • change the structure of a roof or the size of the windows
  • decks/porches
  • docks
  • plumbing
Building permit requirements
The Chief Building Official or the Building Inspector reviews the permit and the building plans to make sure that they meet the Ontario Building Code, building by-law, zoning by-law, and other related by-laws, and regulations.

Building permit requirements list.

Contact information:

Information on Safe Sewage System Permitting and Inspection Process:

Changes are coming to the enforcement, permitting and inspection process for onsite sewage systems in the County of Peterborough. After November 17, 2024, Peterborough Public Health (PPH) will no longer oversee the delivery of these services in the region as responsibility for permitting and inspections are transferred to local municipalities, inclusive of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen. More information will be available in the near future. Additional information can be found on the Peterborough Public Health website.

Development charges are one-time fees collected by municipalities when a building permit is issued on new residential and new non-residential properties.

County of Peterborough Development Charges

KPRDSB and PVNCCDSB Development Charges


Land use planning helps determine where in the township, homes, businesses, and industries should be built. It assists with the locating of parks, schools, roads, sewers and other essential services. 

The planning department is responsible for making sure that present and future land uses follow Ontario planning rules.

Good planning balances the interests of property owners with the interests of the community as a whole.

We understand that planning can be a complicated matter. If you require assistance, please contact the planning department regarding Township planning responsibilities.

Planning - Pre-Consultation Form

The Township planning department is responsible for:

  • Township Official Plan
  • Official Plan amendment applications
  • Comprehensive Zoning By-law
  • Zoning By-law amendment applications
  • Minor variance applications
  • Property zoning information requests
  • Pre-consultation for severances
  • Property zoning complaints and enforcement

The County of Peterborough planning department is responsible for:

  • Severance approval
  • Plans of Subdivision and Condominium approvals
  • Township Official Plan amendments
  • County Official Plan amendments

By-Law Enforcement

he Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen's by-law enforcement officer follows up on all complaints about by-law violations. If you have any questions, please contact the Municipal Office.


All by-law complaints must be in writing and submitted to the township office.

Click here to submit an online complaint


Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.