The Public Works department maintains 160 km of roads, in the best possible condition, in all four seasons. During the winter season they travel 480 km to get all of the roads clear of snow and ice. In order to maintain the highest quality of service, they operate within budgeted amounts authorized by council.
Construction and roadwork
Projects from 2016 to be completed in 2017
- King Street
- Blairton Road
New projects for 2017 (pending budget approval)
- McLean Avenue reconstruction
- Union Street reconstruction between McLean Avenue and Donald Street
- Donald Street reconstruction
- Connecting Link resurfacing repairs
- Keating Bridge construction
- Affordable Housing and Assisted Living for Seniors - New road and water/sewer/storm sewer services
- Preston Road reconstruction
- Storm Sewer main trunk line replacement
For all severances or building permits on township roads, the entrances must be approved by the Director of Public Works. This must be done prior to the severance being passed or the building permit being issued.
Reduced load restrictions
Under the Highway Traffic Act, the province enforces reduced load restrictions on trucks to protect Ontario's highways during spring thaw, when road damage is most likely to occur.
March 1st to April 30th
Report a problem
To report a roads issue, please contact the Municipal Office at 705-778-2308 or Public Works Department at 705-778-2481 during regular business hours. If you have an after hours road related emergency, please contact 705-876-5408.
During snow or ice events the main roads will be the primary focus, followed by the lower volume roads.
Property owners are responsible for:
- Clearing snow and ice on driveways
- Removing snow windrows left by plows on roads and sidewalks
- When clearing snow and ice from your property it must not be thrown on the road or sidewalks.
For information regarding parking within the township, please refer to our Parking By-law 2002-56.
Avoid parking on the streets during a snowstorm and in the days after snowstorm. Vehicles parked on the streets make it hard for plowing.
There is no overnight parking in the Village of Havelock between November 1st to April 15th from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed.